Healthy Life Style Class
- Healthy Life Style Class: Healthy Life Style is an advanced life skills class offered by Two Directions in collaboration with the Dos Valles Garden Club of Valley Center and involves instruction in the health and financial benefits of growing your own food with lab instruction on how to prepare growing beds and how to grow vegetables and herbs for family consumption. This class also teaches students the possible opportunities of self-employment through gardening.
High School Diploma Equivalency Class
- High School Diploma Class: High school diploma classes are offered at Two Directions in conjunction with Escondido Adult School which provides a credentialed instructor who conducts classes at Two Directions; the TANF students working towards their high school diploma earns credits recognized by the Escondido Union School District. The TANF student earns participation hours for completed homework which the instructor assigns, grades and returns to the student.
- GED Class: This class is offered in conjunction with an agreement with the Escondido Adult School which provides a credentialed instructor to provide guidance and tutoring through the practice GED tests, assigning homework which the instructor grades and returns to the student. If the student is deficient in an area, the instructor recommends tutoring for the student. All classroom hours and homework hours are verified by the instructor and recognized as participation hours for TANF. Once the instructor determines that the student is ready to begin testing, Two Directions will make arrangement for payment of fees, scheduling, and transportation.
DMV Drivers License
- DMV Driving Test: A barrier to employment is the lack of reliable transportation, a drivers license and/or the ability to drive. For those TANF students lacking a drivers license, this class is designed to provide tutoring to the student so he/she can pass the written automobile drivers test. The instructional material is the DMV drivers handbook. Once the instructor determines that the student is ready to take the written test, Two Directions staff schedules an appointment with the DMV and makes arrangement for the payment of fees and transportation of the client to the DMV.
Behind the Wheel Driving Instructions
- Behind The Wheel: Once the student has passed the written test and has obtained his license, and if their driving skills are not strong enough to pass the behind the wheel driving portion of the test, Two Directions contracts with a driving school to provide hands on driving classes for those TANF students.
Typing & Typing Skill Development
- Typing: Beginning typing software is used in this class in the computer lab; the class is self paced and designed to build accuracy and speed.
- Typing Skill Development: This class is an extension of the typing software and consists of self paced exercises designed to build accuracy, speed and skill; all exercises are timed and tracked for each student.
- Life Skills: SCTCA has made this a mandatory class for all TANF students. The class consists of 11 units which include Goal Setting, Building Strong Families & Relationships, Social Skills, Survival Skills, Employability, Budget/Financial Literacy, Consumerism, Health and Nutrition, Educational Literacy, Parenting, and Emergency Preparedness. Life Skills class topics are coordinated with classes and information available through the Indian Health Council departments. Additional topics of discussion may be added as needed including guest speakers and/or field trips.
- Culturally Relevant Classes: These classes are taught by Native artisans in the area and consist of beading, moccasin making, gourd designing, cradle board design and construction, and quilt making. One of the objectives of the class is to promote the development of their artistic skills as a profitable enterprise.
- Introduction to PCs: This class provides an overview of computer hardware and software, networking and the use of computers in a number of everyday and employment applications. The student will learn the basic hardware functions and operating system functions; the use of icons, menus, scroll bars and mouse.
- Microsoft Word: This word processing class instructs students how to use the Microsoft Word application to create documents and manipulate and format text. The class also shows users how to prepare a document for printing, preview and print, as well as create tables, import objects and merge a mailing list with a document.
- Microsoft Excel: Students will learn how to work with a spreadsheet application to insert and manipulate data. It shows users how to create formulas and functions, format and print a spreadsheet, import objects and create and use charts.
- Microsoft Access: This class teaches students how to work with a database application to create a database, use and change a data entry form, retrieve information and create reports.
- Microsoft Power Point: This class instructs students how to work with a presentation application to insert, manipulate, and format text images and slides. It also teaches students how to draw objects and produce charts for presentation; how to print and distribute a presentation, and how to add special effects to a slide presentation.
- Internet & Web Browsing: This class teaches students how to open a web browsing application, search for information on the web, how to use email to send and receive messages.
- Web Design: This class introduces the student to basic development concepts and instructs the student in locating free web page development tools and resources. Dreamweaver is used to develop web pages.
- Adobe Flash: This class is a multimedia platform used to add animation, video and interactivity to web pages. Flash is frequently used for advertisements, games and flash animations for broadcast.
- Lab: The computer lab is available for use by TANF students whenever computer classes are not in session for the completion of class work and/or homework. Palomar College students taking on-line classes are free to use the lab for internet classes and earn participation hours if properly signed in.